Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Just a quicky

Here's just a quicky update. No, this blog is not dead, it's just been hibernating for a bit. I've been brooding on some plans for the coming year. The backyard farm will most probably go the fruit way this year. Having fruit bearing plans in the garden makes it easier to keep an eye on them. Also, the cats and dogs make sure that there will be very few birds coming in to snatch our harvest.


Another thing is: We might be allowed to use a plot of land belonging to some friends of ours. We are still deciding wether or not we want to take up the offer or not, so there might be a 'not so backyard' farm added to the repertoire.


As for further projects, due to circumstances my woodcarving has gone on hold for a bit. I have however decided to set myself up with a brew of mead. Supplies still need to be bought, exact recipe to be chosen but then its on to some home brewing! I will ofcourse document the process to the best of my abilities. This first batch will be a sort of test batch, after which I hope to start creating my own brews. The first task is to find a recipe that might seem nice, then make it to confirm that and then work up from there.


We also picked up a meat grinder some months back and that still hasn't been put to use, mainly due to time constraints. That will change. I plan to make some traditional dutch dried sausages called metworst. And maybe some of the braadworst types. With these I will also be looking for a starter recipe and after a succesful test batch I will start experimenting with different herbs and spices to create my own 'brand'.


So, that's it for now. Sorry about the long hiatus.


Oh, and happy new year and all that jazz!

No comments:

Post a Comment